Brussels, Belgium – 6 November 2023
On Malnutrition Awareness Week 2023, MNI actively communicated on LinkedIn and Twitter to raise awareness of the importance of disease-related malnutrition. In particular, MNI highlighted the risks of malnutrition for patients with cancer, as they:
- may have taste changes or nausea due to treatment
- are twice more at risk of being malnourished compared with patients without cancer
MNI underlined (including through visuals) that:
- Up to 70% of patients with cancer can become malnourished
- Patients with gastrointestinal cancers, at more advanced cancer stages or older patients, are more likely to develop malnutrition due to the disease.
- Malnutrition results in an increased burden on healthcare resources, with an estimated cost of €17 billion/year in the EU.
Therefore, nutritional care should be an integral part of cancer care across Europe